Fictional films but with crisis themes
- ? - The Big Short (Variety 1/13/2015 scoop on plans - based on Michael Lewis' best selling book)
- July 2016 - Subprime 2.0: A Film that Exposes the True Causes of the Financial Crisis & Warns the Culprits Are Doubling Down (INDIEGOGO campaign - 4/30/2015) from Paul Sperry and Cornelia Mrose.
- 2015 - Boom Bust Boom from Terry Jones (Monty Python), and Theo Kocken.
- 9/16/2013 (via Netflix) - HANK: Five Years from the Brink from Oscar-nominated filmmaker Joe Berlinger and Bloomberg Businessweek comes a 85 minute profile of former U.S. Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson.
- 9/6/2013 - Money for Nothing - Filmmaker bet on financial crisis, used profit to make documentary about Federal Reserve from the Washington Post (9/13/2013)
- 9/6/2013 - 99% -The Occupy Film
- 2013? - The Bubble from Tom Woods, author of the NYTimes best seller Meltdown. Include interviews with multiple crisis predictors and looks to offer an alternative perspective to the academy award winning film Inside Job (Cast includes Ron Paul, FCIC (dissenting) commissioner Peter Wallison, James Grant, Peter Schiff, Gene Epstein (Barron's) and many academics and professionals). See also panel video introducing the trailer.
- 1/25/2013 (premier) - Occupy the Movie
- 1/22/2013 - The Untouchables from Frontline (PBS)
- 5/1/2012 - Money, Power, and Wall Street from Frontline (4 part PBS) features two of six FCIC Commissioners (Phil Angelides and Brooksley Born) appointed by the Democratic leadership of Congress.
- 4/26/2012 - Confidence Game from Nick Verbitsky (trailer)
- 1/19/2012 (Sundance - 7/6/2012 in theaters) - The Queen of Versailles (the story of timeshare kingpin David Siegel and his wife building the world's most expensive private home in America as the crisis hits.)
- ~ 9/2011 - Meltdown: Secret History of the Global Financial Collapse (4 part CBC Canada documentary including discussions of Iceland, Spain, Dubai, Greece & China) or here via youtube.
- ~ 9/2011 - The Boom & Bust Years (The Age of Risk) from the BBC. See also The Party’s Over: How the West Went Bust
- 6/3/2011 - The Flaw (by David Sington with Robert Shiller, Joseph Stiglitz, Dan Ariely)
- 5/24/2011 - The Fall of Lehman Brothers
- 5/23/2011 - (HBO premier - DVD release 6/12/2012) Too Big to Fail based on Andrew Ross Sorkin's best selling book Too Big To Fail.
- 5/17/2010 (Premier) - Overdose: The Next Financial Crisis based on the book Financial Fiasco by Johan Nordberg (cast includes Gerald Celente, Peter Schiff, David Walker, Megan McArdle)
- 5/16/2010 (US release - Cannes 10/8/2010) - Inside Job (or here) from Charles Ferguson (Oscar winner for best documentary). See also his book Predator Nation: Corporate Criminals, Political Corruption, and the Hijacking of America. Inside Job Web Site - Cast includes Barney Frank, Paul Volker, Eliot Spitzer, George Soros, William Ackman, Satyajit Das, Nouriel Roubini, Raghuram Rajan, Frank Partnoy, Andrew Lo, Kenneth Rogoff, Simon Johnson, Gillian Tett, Robert Gnaizda, Charles Morris, Martin Feldstein, and Frederic Mishkin ("who might regret" comments).
- 4/6/2010 (DVD release) - Plunder: The Crime Of Our Time "a crashumentary" (Vimeo partial video) from Danny Schechter based on his book Plunder. His 2006 film In Debt We Trust "was one of the first films or media coverage to expose subprime lending and warn of an economic crisis."
- 12/13/2009 - Collapse (Michael Ruppert)
- 10/29/2009 - The Warning from Frontline (PBS)
- 10/18/2009 - American Casino
- 10/2/2009 (3/9/2010 DVD Release) - Capitalism: A Love Story from Michael Moore
- 9/9/2009 - The Last Days of Lehman Brothers (BBC) (via youtube)
- Fall 2009 - We All Fall Down: The American Mortgage Crisis
- 7/8/2009 - The Ascent of Money Part 4: Planet Finance from PBS' 8 part series with Niall Ferguson.
- 3/24/2009 - Ten Trillion and Counting from Frontline (PBS)
- 2/17/2009 - Inside The Meltdown from Frontline (PBS)
- 8/28/2008 - Dispatches: How The Banks Never Lose UK focused (125% loan to value) - 6/14/2010 follow up How The Banks Won
- 1/19/2008 (DVD 4/7/2009) - I.O.U.S.A. (Movie web site). See also the book I.O.U.S.A.: One Nation. Under Stress. In Debt.
Gary Karz, CFA
- Six Films on the Financial Crisis (1/27/2012)
- Top 10 Financial Crisis Documentaries (12/16/2011)
- Films about the Ongoing Financial Crisis (10/19/2011)
- Top Five Financial Crisis Films (8/24/2011)
- Top Documentary Films
Host of InvestorHome
Principal, Proficient Investment Management, LLC
Last update 4/14/2015. Copyright © 2015 Investor Home. All rights reserved. Disclaimer